Statutory Authority Secretary of State
Like other State agencies, our work has to be accomplished according to State laws and rules, as well as federal laws and rules. You can find most of the laws establishing the duties of the Secretary of State on this page.
The links to our laws on this page take you to the website of the North Carolina General Assembly. Recent changes to the laws may not be included yet. The General Assembly is not the official publisher of the North Carolina General Statutes. The official publisher of the General Statutes is LexisNexis. Please review the General Assembly explanation.
Browse NC General Statutes (Laws)
Secretary of State
Advance Health Care Directives
Assumed Business Names (DBAs)
Authentications & Apostilles
Business Opportunity Sales
Cable TV Franchises
Federal Tax Liens
Filing Requirements & Registered Agents
Government E-Commerce (inc. fees)
Investor Protection & Education
Notary & eNotary
Occupational Licensing Reports
Online Ticket Resales
Public Meeting Notices
Real Property eRecording
Trademarks & Counterfeit Trademarks
Unincorporated Nonprofit Registered Agents
Secretary of State - Other Statutes
- § 120‑33(d)(2). Act or Joint Resolution Filings.
- § 66-280. Agreements between North Carolina and foreign governments to be filed
- § 54-114. Certificate of incorporation. (Cooperative Organizations)
- § 160A-111. (City). Filing certified true copies of charter amendments.
- § 8-48. Clark's Calendar; proof of dates.
- § 36D-4. (Community 3rd Party/Pooled Trusts). Administration of Community Third Party and Pooled Trusts; powers and duties.
- § 139-5. Creation of soil and water conservation districts.
- § 163-182.6. Election Abstracts Filings.
- § 143-215.107D(i). Emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and sulfur dioxide (SO2) from certain coal-fired generating units. (Emission allowance transfer agreements).
- § 64-1.1. (Foreign-owned real property.) Secretary of State to collect information as to foreign ownership of real property.
- § 120-27. (General Assembly). Journals; preparation and filing by clerks of houses.
- § 77-57(d)(1). High Rock Lake Marine Commission. Regulatory Authority.
- § 77-87. (Lake Lure Marine Commission). Regulatory authority.
- § 77-37(d)(1) Lake Wylie Marine Commission. Regulations for Lake Wylie and shoreline area.
- § 160A-29. Map of annexed area, copy of ordinance and election results recorded in the office of register of deeds. (Municipal).
- § 77-76. (Mountain Island Marine Commission).Filing and publication of joint ordinances.
- § 65-111(3). Public and Abandoned Cemeteries Filings.
- § 47-18.1. Registration of certificate of corporate merger, consolidation, or conversion (Probate and Registration)
- § 115C-67. School Merger Filings.
- § 120‑33(d)(1). Session Law.
- § 143-341(4)c. State Property Deeds Filings.
- § 66-294. (Tobacco Reserve Fund). Duties of manufacturers (Tobacco Reserve Fund and Escrow – Tobacco Escrow Compliance)
- § 115D-21(b). Traffic Regulations Filings (Community Colleges).
- § 17D-4. [Traffic Regulations] Application of State highway and motor vehicles laws at the academy; authority of Department of Justice to regulate traffic, etc. ( North Carolina Justice Academy)
- § 61-7.[Traffic Regulations] Governing body of assembly authorized to adopt traffic regulations (Religious assemblies)
- § 116-44.4(l). Traffic Regulations Filings (Universities).
- § 143-215.18. (Water – groundwater & surface water). Map or description of boundaries of capacity use areas.