Most filings and transactions can be completed online or by mail, and in many cases can be completed before an appointment becomes available.
If you need help, you may call our customer service desk at 919-814-5400
Thank you for your patience as we continue to consider the health and safety of our customers, staff, and the general public.
- Most filings and transactions can be completed online or by mail. Please visit the online services menu at www.sosnc.gov.
- If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, have COVID-19, or have visited COVID-19 hotspots in the last 14 days, DO NOT make an in-person appointment.
- Please be prepared at the time of your appointment. Be sure paperwork is complete and EXACT payment is ready. NCSOS does not accept debit or credit cards for in-person appointments.
- NCSOS cannot offer legal advice. If you need legal advice, seek counsel ahead of your appointment.
- If you have questions about the forms or fees, please get them answered ahead of your visit by calling 919-814-5400.
- Customers with in-person appointments are required to wear a mask. Also, please bring your own pen to complete your transaction.
- If you have made an appointment previously, please make sure to sign-in with your profile, do not create a new profile with each appointment.
- After making an appointment you will receive a confirmation e-mail with instructions when you arrive, including a phone number to call when you arrive. Please bring your confirmation e-mail with you to the appointment and an ID. If you do NOT receive a confirmation, please check your spam/junk folder. Make sure you set your email to accept communications from the sosnc.gov and mg.appointment-plus.com domains.
- When showing up for your in-person appointment, make sure you have the right date.
Authentications are a legal way to prove to someone in another country that a signature is official.
Please view the Frequently Asked Questions at https://www.sosnc.gov/divisions/authentications for questions you might have prior to your appointment.
If there are any issues with the document, the Authentications Staff will contact you at the telephone number provided on the Cover Letter.
It is your responsibility to be prepared at the time of your appointment.
Please bring with you at the time of your appointment:
- Cover Letter: A completed Cover Letter, found at https://www.sosnc.gov/forms/by_title/_Authentications_Cover_Letters. Make sure the jurisdiction of Use is completed and is not within the United States.
- Original Documents: Original document(s) in English or accompanied by an English translation to be issued an Apostille or Authentication Certificate.
- Certification Fee: A check or money order made out to NCSOS for the certification fee. The certification fee is $10 per document. The front counter does not accept debit or credit cards.
- Method to Return Documents: If you want the certification mailed back to you, please bring a self-addressed, stamped envelope for returning via mail or a pre-paid courier label with your name and address preprinted on it.
- Pick-up: At the time of the appointment, you will be provided a receipt, which you will need at the time of pick-up. Pick-up times are dependent upon the time of the appointment as follows:
|10 am or earlier
|Same day between 4 pm and 5 pm
|10:30 am or later
|Next business day between 4 pm and 5 pm
Special Instructions for Funeral Homes: The NC Department of the Secretary of State is aware of the urgency surrounding official documents used to transport human remains to foreign countries. While the NC Secretary of State’s Office is closed to the public, funeral homes being faced with urgent transport should email email@example.com using “Funeral Home – COVID-19” in the Subject Line to set up an appointment and drop off documents to be authenticated.
When you arrive, you will need to have with you:
- Cover Letter: A completed Cover Letter, found at https://www.sosnc.gov/forms/by_title/_Authentications_Cover_Letters.
- Death Certificate: A Certified Death Certificate from NC Vital Records.
- Three notarized documents:
- Burial Transmittal document;
- Non-Contagious Disease Certification; and the
- Embalming Certification.
- Certificate Fees: A check or money order (no cash) for each document presented for certification. The front counter does not accept debit or credit cards. When the certificates have been processed, the Authentications Staff will call you for pick-up at the number listed on the Cover Letter.