North Carolina Board of Licensed Professional Counselors
The North Carolina Board of Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselors (NCBLCMHC) (formerly the North Carolina Board of Licensed Professional Counselors) was established under provisions of the Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselors Act (LCMHCA) (formerly the Licensed Professional Counselors Act, which became effective July 1, 1994. The LCMHCA regulates the activities of persons who render mental health counseling services to the public.
Below is a summary of the procedures, laws and guidelines to obtain a professional business entity license through the NCBLPC.
PLEASE REFER TO THE NCBLPC’S WEBSITE FOR EXPLANATIONS OF TYPES OF LICENSES AND OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION.
Bookmark the link to the NCBLPC for your future reference.
Procedure to Create a Professional Business Entity
- Review the Professional Corporations Act .
- Download and complete the appropriate business entity creation document from the Business Registration website .
- Download and complete the appropriate application from the the NCBLPC website.
- Submit NCBLPC application, required supporting documentation and payment in the amount of $50.00 to the NCBLPC.
- The NCBLPC will examine both documents and if sufficient, will provide a Certificate of Application for use with filing at the Secretary of State’s Office.
- Submit the creation document along with the Board’s Certificate of Application to the Business Registration Division of the Secretary of State’s Office for filing with either $125 for a domestic entity (North Carolina) or $250 for a foreign entity receiving a Certificate of Authority.
- To obtain a Certificate of Registration, return a filed copy of the Articles of Incorporation/Organization or Certificate of Authority from the Secretary of State’s Office to the NCBLPC. The Board will then issue the Certificate of Registration.
A corporation organized for the rendering of professional counseling services is not officially operating if it has not first received this certificate of registration from the Board.
Professional Corporations renew their Certificates of Registration prior to the 31st of December each year with a $25.00 renewal fee. Notices are sent by the Board a minimum of sixty days prior to expiration.
- 18 NCAC 04 .0318 - Authorization of Foreign Professional Corporations
- 18 NCAC 04 .0502 - Words Prohibited in Addition to Statutory Prohibitions
- 18 NCAC 04 .0503 - Deceptively Similar and Distinguishable Names
- 18 NCAC 04 .0504 - Filing Fictitious or Assumed Name for Foreign Entity