RequirementsProfessional Limited Liability Company
The main elements required in the Articles of Organization are:
- Name of the PLLC. The name must end with Professional Limited Liability Company or an abbreviation thereof such as P.L.L.C.
- The name and address of each person executing the Articles of Organization and whether the person is executing the Articles of Organization as a Member, Organizer or both as a Member and Organizer. This is referred to as the capacity in which the person is executing the document. At least one Organizer/Member must be a licensee of the applicable Licensing Board.
- Registered Office and Registered Agent’s street address, mailing address, if different from the street address, of the PLLC’s registered office and the name of the PLLC’s initial registered agent are required. The registered office street address and the registered mailing address must be located in North Carolina.
- Principal Office physical and mailing address. This is required if there is a principal office location at the time the Articles are filed.
- A designation of the personal (professional) service or services to be rendered by the PLLC.
- A certification by the applicable Licensing Board that the ownership of the membership interests is in compliance with the requirement of Chapter 55B and Chapter 57D of the NC General Statutes.
The Articles of Organization may set forth additional provisions that the people preparing the document elect to include.
These additional provisions may include:
- Names of the PLLC’s initial Company Officials;
- Provisions regarding the purpose or purposes for which the PLLC is being formed; and
- Provisions for managing the business and regulating the affairs of the PLLC.
It is important to remember that the PLLC’s operating agreement are not filed with the Secretary of State.