The main elements required in the Certificate of Domestic Limited Partnership including Optional Application as a Registered Limited Liability Limited Partnership are:
- Name of the Limited Partnership. The name must include an applicable Limited Partnership ending. Acceptable endings include LP, L.P. and Limited Partnership. LLLP would need to be used as the ending if the entity will be registering as a Limited Liability Limited Partnership when it is being formed.
- County Level Recordation. If the Limited Partnership was formed at the County level prior to October 1, 1986, the information of the recording is required.
- Registered Agent and Registered Agent Office. Registered Office and Registered Agent’s street address, mailing address, if different from the street address, of the Limited Partnership’s registered office and the name of the Limited Partnership’s initial registered agent are required. The registered office street address and the registered mailing address must be located in North Carolina.
- Phone Number and Address. The phone number and address of where the Limited Partnership’s records are kept, if not kept at the registered office address. This address must also be located in North Carolina.
- Dissolution Date. The latest date that the Limited Partnership is to dissolve which must be a date certain. The duration would be perpetual if no specific date to dissolve is identified.
- Listing of general partners. The names and addresses (including the County) of the Limited Partnership’s general partners must be included in the document.
- Effective Date of Filing. The document will be effective on the date and at the time of filing, unless a delayed date or an effective time (on the day of filing) is specified. If a delayed effective date is specified without a time, the document will be effective at 11:59:59 p.m. on the day specified. If a delayed effective date is specified with a time, the document will be effective on the day and time so specified. A delayed effective date may be specified up to and including the 90th day after the day of filing.
- Execution. The document must be signed by all General Partners listed in the filing. If a general partner is a corporation or other entity, there are spaces for signatures of the office of the entity on the form provided by the Secretary of State’s Office.
- Optional E-Mail Address. The Secretary of State’s Office will e-mail the business automatically at the address provided at no charge when a document is filed. The e-mail provided will not be viewable on the website. For more information on why this service is being offered, please see the instructions for this document.
Optional Limited Liability Limited Partnership. The Limited Partnership must provide the following additional information is if intends to register as a Limited Liability Limited Partnership at the time of its formation:
- Its principal office street address
- Its principal office telephone number
- Its principal office mailing address if different from the street address.
- Its fiscal year end which must be set forth as month and date. For example 12/31 if the entity’s fiscal year will end at the end of the calendar year.
The filing fee if registering as a Limited Partnership is $50.00. If registering as an LLLP or RLLLP, the fee is $125.00.