RequirementsLimited Liability Companies
The main elements required in the Articles of Organization are:
- Name of the LLC. The name must include an applicable LLC ending.
- The name and address of each person executing the Articles of Organization and whether the person is executing the Articles of Organization as a Member, Organizer or both. This is referred to as the capacity in which the person is executing the document.
- Registered Office and Registered Agent’s street address, mailing address, if different from the street address, of the LLC’s registered office and the name of the LLC’s initial registered agent are required. The registered office street address and the registered mailing address must be located in North Carolina.
- Principal Office physical and mailing address. This is required if there is a principal office location at the time the Articles are filed.
The Articles of Organization may set forth additional provisions that the people preparing the document elect to include.
These additional provisions may include:
- Names of the LLC’s initial Company Officials;
- Provisions regarding the purpose or purposes for which the LLC is being formed; and
- Provisions for managing the business and regulating the affairs of the LLC.
It is important to remember that the LLC’s operating agreement is not filed with the Secretary of State.