1. What kind of services does the North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State provide?

The Department of the Secretary of State works with the private and public sectors to help strengthen North Carolina’s economy. There are many divisions within the Department.

2. How do I contact the Department of the Secretary of State and the Office of International Services?

N.C. Department of the Secretary of State
P.O. Box 29622
Raleigh, NC 27626-0622

3. What other North Carolina agencies engage in international work?

4. Where can I get help starting a business?

5. Where can I find information on business loans?

6. Who do I contact for legal assistance?

Lawyer Referral Service
1-800-662-7660 (within NC)

7. Who do I contact for information about federal and state taxes?

  • The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has information on federal taxes for the individual taxpayer as well as businesses.
  • N.C. Department of Revenue contains valuable information on all the major state taxes administered by the N.C. Department of Revenue, various forms, and electronic filing.

8. If I am not eligible for a social security number, what do I use in place of it?

For information on what to use in place of a social security number, you should contact the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

9. Who should I contact if I’m interested in importing goods to North Carolina?

The U.S. Customs Service does not require an importer to have a license or permit. Other agencies may, however, require a permit, license, or other certification, depending on the commodity. All items or merchandise coming into the U.S. must clear through customs and is subject to a customs duty unless specifically exempt by law. Clearance involves a number of steps, including entry, inspection, valuation, appraisement, and liquidation. You should contact the organizations listed below, as appropriate.
  • U.S. Food and Drug Administration – Contains foreign language documents and an Information Guide for the International Community where foreign government officials, embassy officials, and importers can obtain information about FDA's international functions.
  • U.S. Department of Agriculture
  • N.C. World Trade Center – Provide services ranging from education on a variety of international trade topics, locating potential business partners (distributors, buyers, etc.), obtaining trade leads, to advertising your product worldwide.
  • Foreign Trade Zones in North Carolina – Find out more about what foreign trade zones are and how international traders can benefit from the 6 FTZs in North Carolina.

10. Who should I contact if I’m interested in exporting goods from North Carolina?

11. Where can I get information about a work visa or a visa extension for non-U.S. citizens?

  • Visa Services – U.S. State Department link with visa services both here and abroad.

12. Who do I contact about employment authorization documents for non-U.S. citizens or employer-related immigration matters?

13. Who do I contact about obtaining a new passport, passport renewal, or a lost or stolen passport?

14. What do I need to know before traveling abroad?

There is a great deal of information available on the internet relevant to foreign travel. The internet sites listed below are only some of those that may be of help to you.

15. What other international resources are available to me in North Carolina?

There are numerous international resources available in North Carolina. The list below will give you a start on some of them.
For a list of foreign consulates in North Carolina: