North Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy
The North Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy (NCBOT) was established by the 1984 session of the N. C. General Assembly. The purpose of this law to provide for the regulation of persons offering Occupational Therapy services to the public.
PLEASE REFER TO THE BOARD’S WEBSITE FOR EXPLANATIONS OF TYPES OF LICENSES AND OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION.
Bookmark the link to the NCBOT for your future reference.
North Carolina Licensed Occupational Therapists or Occupational Therapy Assistants who want to form a Professional Corporation or Professional Limited Liability Company must apply to the North Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy for a Certificate of Registration, pursuant to Chapter 55B of the North Carolina General Statutes.
Procedure to Create a Professional Business Entity
Step 1 Articles of Incorporation/Organization
- Download and complete the appropriate business entity creation document from the Forms link on the Business Registration Division website.
Step 2 Application to NCBOT
- Request an application by calling the NCBOT at the above number.
Complete the appropriate application including:
- Corporate name which must include a corporate ending as required by GS §55D-20 or 55B-5. For limited liability companies, the complete name must be provided and must include the word “Professional” or the abbreviation “P.L.L.C.” or ”PLLC” as required by GS §57D-2-02(v).
- Specific services to be rendered by the corporation or LLC.
- Mailing address of corporation or LLC, including telephone number and e-mail address if appropriate.
- For Professional Corporations, provide the name, address and license number of each incorporator, the Board of Directors, and the corporate officers. Include percent of shares owned by stockholders.
- For Limited Liability Companies, provide the name, address and license number of each Owner, Director and Member.
- Provide the name, address, professional affiliation, duties and license number (if applicable) of individuals not otherwise identified, who are employed, or to be employed, in a professional capacity by the corporation/organization.
Signatures: Each incorporator/organizer must sign before submitting the application to the N.C. Board of Occupational Therapy.
Step 3: Receipt of Certificate of Registration - Submission to the Secretary of State
Submit application with the required fee of fifty ($50.00) along with a copy of
the Articles of Incorporation/Organization to:
PO Box 2280
Raleigh, NC 27602
- An original Certificate of Registration will be returned to the applicant to be used for filing with the Secretary of State’s office along with the Articles of Incorporation/Organization.
Step 4: Renewal of Certificate of Registration
In accordance with NCGS §55B and 57C, A Certificate of Registration must be renewed annually with the Board by June 20. Renewal applications are mailed out mid-March.
- Renewal requires submission of a renewal application reflecting current information. Renewal applications should be submitted with the applicable renewal fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00).
- There is a ten dollar (10.00) late fee for renewal applications postmarked after June 20.
- If changes have been made to the owners/shareholders/members or to the Articles of Incorporation/Organization, an updated copy must be attached.
- It is the responsibility of the corporation or limited liability company to notify the Board of any address, phone, fax or e-mail changes throughout the year.
Step 5: Changing your Corporate Name or other Changes
The Board and Secretary of State’s Business Registration Division both must be notified of any changes to the Corporate name, shareholders, Articles of Incorporation/Organization, or other status.
Step 6: Dissolving your Professional Corporation or Limited Liability Company
Written notice shall be provided to the Board within 30 days of dissolving the Professional entity along with a copy of the Articles of Dissolution.
- Chapter 55B
- Chapter 55D
- Chapter 57D-2-02
North Carolina Administrative Code
- 18 NCAC 04 .0318 - Authorization of Foreign Professional Corporations
- 18 NCAC 04 .0502 - Words Prohibited in Addition to Statutory Prohibitions
- 18 NCAC 04 .0503 - Deceptively Similar and Distinguishable Names
- 18 NCAC 04 .0504 - Filing Fictitious or Assumed Name for Foreign Entity