General InformationArticle 42, Chapter 66, North Carolina General Statutes
Additional definitions can be found in the actual statute. The statute can be found by clicking on the “Statute” link to the right.
- Existing Agreement
A local franchise agreement that was awarded under G.S. 153A-137 or G.S. 160A-319 and meets either of the following:
- is in effect on January 1, 2007
- Expired before January 1, 2007, and the cable service provider under the agreement provides cable service to subscribers in the franchise area on January 1, 2007.
- Pass a household
- The provider makes service available to a household, regardless of whether the household subscribes to the service.
- PEG channel
- A public, educational, or governmental access channel provided to a county or city.
Notice of Franchise
A person who intends to provide a cable service over a cable system in an area must file a notice of franchise with the NC Secretary of State before providing service. The Notice of Franchise must include all of the following:
- The applicant’s name, principal place of business, mailing address, physical address, telephone number, and email address.
- A description and map of the area to be served. If the description includes the area within the boundaries, the area to be served is considered to include any area that is subsequently annexed to the city unless the notice limits the area to be served to the boundaries of the city on the effective date of the notice.
- A list of each county and city in which the described service area is located, in whole or in part.
- A schedule indicating when service is expected to be offered in the service area.
Commencement of Service
A person who files a notice of franchise must begin providing service in the service area described in the notice within 120 days after the notice is filed. If cable service does not begin within this period, the notice of franchise terminates 130 days after it was filed.
If cable service begins within this period, the holder of the State-issued franchise must file a notice of service with the Secretary within ten (10) days after the cable service begins.
Cable service begins when it passes one or more households in the described service area.
A Notice of Service for a service area must include all of the following:
- The effective date of a notice of franchise for that area.
- A description and map of the service area.
- A statement that cable service has begun in the service area.
Notice of Withdrawal
A person may withdraw a notice of franchise by filing a notice of withdrawal with the Secretary of State. The notice of withdrawal must be filed at least ninety (90) days before the service is withdrawn.
Notice of Change in Ownership
A successor in interest to a person who has filed a notice of franchise is not required to file another notice of franchise. When a change in ownership occurs, the owner must file a notice of change in ownership with the Secretary of State within fourteen (14) days after the change becomes effective.
|State Franchise for Cable Television Service||Fee|
|C-01 • Notice of Franchise||$125|
|C-02 • Notice of Commencement of Service||$0|
|C-03 • Notice of Withdrawal||$0|
|C-05 • Notice of Change in Ownership||$0|
|BE-02 • Articles of Correction||$10|
|Make checks payable to "NC Secretary of State".|
Format of Electronic Maps
Please click on the Administrative Code link to the right and choose State Franchise for Cable Television under Title 18 for the Secretary of State’s Office.
Submit Document Package to:
Mailing AddressNC Secretary of State
State Franchise for Cable
Post Office Box 29622
Raleigh, North Carolina 27626-0622
Physical AddressNC Secretary of State
State Franchise for Cable
2 South Salisbury Street
Raleigh, North Carolina 27601-2903