1. Does this prohibition apply to student tickets issued by institutions of higher education in North Carolina for sporting events?

    No, State law already prohibits the resale of student tickets to athletic events issued by institutions of higher education in North Carolina.

  2. What is a venue?

    A venue is where the event is to take place. If the venue is not itself an entity established by law, the corporation, governmental unit or other entity may file the Notice on its behalf.

  3. May I file one prohibition notice for all events at my venue?

    No.General Statute §14-344.1(b) states that a prohibition is filed for a specified event. Therefore, a blanket prohibition applicable to all events at a venue is not permissible.

  4. Would the ACC Tournament MidSouth Regional for example, qualify as an event?

    The Department of the Secretary of State’s Office does not enforce this statute.Questions as to interpretation of the meaning of the law or terms used in the law will not be resolved by the Department.

  5. How do I file a Notice of Prohibition?

    The form for filing a Notice of Prohibition is available online. The fee is $125 and is payable to the NC Secretary of State. The address for filing is at the bottom of the form and included in the instructions printed out with the form. Please also include with the Notice filing a self-addressed, stamped envelope so that a certified copy of the filing can be returned to you.

  6. Why would I need a certified copy of the filing?

    If the venue is to post the notice on their website, the venue will need an image of the filed copy. In addition, should the venue wish to renew the Notice, the document Id# will be printed on the Notice in the upper right hand corner.

  7. When does the Notice become effective?

    The Notice becomes effective 30 days after it is posted on the venue’s website.

  8. Does the notice expire?

    Yes, every notice filed expires on December 31st of each year.

  9. Can it be renewed?

    Yes, the fee to renew is $25 and is payable to the NC Secretary of State. The renewal form is available online.

  10. What happens if the Secretary of State’s Office rejects a document?

    The Department of the Secretary of State does not have the authority to reject a prohibition filing because it appears that the event is not an event. However, if there are errors on the actual Notice, there are two things which may happen, 1) the examiner may call you if there are corrections which do not need a person’s signature, or 2) the document may be returned for corrections and resubmission.The payment is connected to the document Id number and when resubmitted retains the same document id number.

  11. What happens if the payment is deemed non-sufficient by the financial institution?

    If there is a non-sufficient fund payment, then Administrative Rule 18 NCAC 04 .0204 – Cancellation for nonpayment, will apply to any Notice or Renewal Notice received. The rule states that after the filing of any document, if the Division determines that the payment of fees and taxes tendered is for any reason insufficient; and, after notice and reasonable opportunity is given to the proper party to submit payment, it is determined that proper payment has not been made, the Secretary of State shall, by appropriate certificate, cancel such filing with a notation that the filing was an error. >

  12. What is the normal turn around time for filing a document with the Corporations Division?

    The normal turn around time for filing a document with the Corporations Division is 3-5 days.

  13. Where can I find a copy of the enacted law?

    You may find a copy of the enacted law by choosing the “Legislative” link from the left bar; you may visit www.ncleg.net and search through the 2007 Bills for S1407; or you may search the North Carolina General Statutes from the same webpage at Chapter 14, Article 14 Section 344.

  14. What do I have to file with the Department of Revenue?

    A person who resells or offers to resell admission tickets must report each month to the Department of Revenue, under oath, on a form provided by the Department of Revenue.

  15. When is the report due?

    The report is due by the 10th day after the end of each month and covers the gross receipts received during the previous month from reselling admission tickets to an event or venue in this State.

  16. Where can I find information from the Department of Revenue about this report?

    You may access the Department of Revenue website at www.dornc.com and link to the “Whats New” and/or “Hot Topics” information.